The tour of the farm and dairy is exclusively for Academy of Cheese delegates who are studying at Level One or Two, offering an insight into the day in the life of Home Farm. An opportunity to see expert cheesemaking in action and meet fellow cheese professionals and enthusiasts.
9.45am Meet at Home Farm and come to the Main Office in plenty of time for a 10am start. Welcome talk from Stuart Dowle and hear the intriguing history of the Quicke family.
10.30am Take a tour of our dairy, watch our cheese makers expertly craft each truckle by hand.
11.00am Whizz around our cheese stores and see how we age our clothbound cheddar, learn about our unique mould garden and the traditional skill of grading cheese.
11.30am Tuck in to a tutored tasting where you’ll enjoy the complexity and diversity of the Quicke’s range.
12pm Take a guided tour of our farm. We’ll explain the unique macrobiotics of our soils and grasses, and why looking after our countryside is so important – and if you’re lucky, you’ll meet our world famous Quicke’s cows.
1pm Explore the farm shop!
• The route around the farm is likely to be muddy and uneven, so please bring appropriate footwear such as wellies or walking boots.
• With our changeable British weather, it’s also sensible to bring waterproofs and extra layers.
• Please note that the cheese stores stay cool even in the summer, so you might want an extra layer in there too.
• The route is not suitable for wheelchairs.
• When entering the dairy you’ll be asked to remove all jewellery (plain wedding bands are permitted), so it’s a good idea to do this before hand for safekeeping.