Affineur of the Year
What is “Affineur of the Year”?
“Affineur of the Year” is a unique opportunity for cheesemongers and cheesemakers to showcase, across the world, the skill and artistry involved in guiding a cheese to its full potential.
Quicke’s and the Academy of Cheese are delighted to launch this brand new competition for the Cheese Industry. It is a unique experiment in cheese maturation, grading and tasting.
How “Affineur of the Year” works
- All competitors receive a 27kg Quicke’s mature truckle from the same vat.
- Competitors then care for the cheese at their facility for an estimated 9 months.
- During that time, the cheese will be graded and documented via grading sheets and social media submitted every 3 months.
- At the end of the 9 months the cheese will be judged by a select committee of industry experts at an event hosted by Quicke’s & the Academy of Cheese.
- The winner will be crowned Affineur of the Year 2022.
- The event will be open to the public, and competitors will have the opportunity to sell their competition cheese at the event.
Who is taking part?
Entry deadline Monday 12 April 2021
Cheese sent to entrants Monday 10 May 2021
Competition launch Tuesday 18 May 2021
Event Thursday 24 February 2022
|Sensory characteristics.||The most important element of the judging, with the highest points rating.||Flavour including length|
and differential nose to rind
|Grading sheets / records||Detailed grading sheets / records are crucial to understanding how the result has been achieved.||…./ 5|
|The condition and structural integrity of the cheese (blueing and damage, cheese mite).||The most critical part of maturing a whole cheddar, this is where competitors’ affinage skills will be put to the test.||…./10|
|Innovation / interesting additions to the original.||This is a chance for competitors to express creativity and trial new ideas.||…./10|
Subscribe for updates
Stay up to date with the Affineur of the Year competition by subscribing for our industry focused news and updates.