The Academy of Cheese are very proud to be supporting Young Cheesemonger of the Year competition and were very impressed by the creative cheeseboard combinations and in depth knowledge of British cheeses demonstrated by so many of the applicants.
This week sees the very best British cheesemakers and cheesemongers compete for the much acclaimed trophies and accolades at the British Cheese Awards 2019.
Young Cheesemonger of the Year finalists are:
· Sam Day – Farndon Fields Farm Shop
· Izaak Edge – The Cheeseworks
· Alexandra Griffin – La Cave a Fromage
· Alexander Kiely – The Fine Cheese Company
· Daniel Ozeri – Neal’s Yard Dairy
· Michael Paradise – La Fromagerie
· Mica-Jade Rowswell – Macknade Fine Foods
. Alan Watson – Paxton & Whitfield
The final takes place during the British Cheese Awards on Thursday 30th May 2019 at the Royal Bath & West Show, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
Paxton & Whitfield, London
Neal’s Yard Dairy, London
La Cave a Fromage, Hove
Macknade Fine Foods, Kent
Farndon Fields Farm Shop, Leics
La Fromagerie, London
The young cheesemakers Finals
Having successfully submitted their creative cheeseboard combinations, the eight finalists will now take part in four, nail-biting rounds to discover this year’s ultimate winner:
1. Cheeseboard Proposal & Discussion – to discuss their cheeseboard selection.
2. A Cut & Wrap Exercise – to be done by sight without using weighing scales.
3. Identification – contestants will taste and identify a number of unmarked cheeses.
4. Master-rind – a quiz with the specialist subject ‘British cheese’.
Julius Longman, chairman of the British Cheese Awards, says: “We were really impressed with the quality and also the number of entries that we received this year. It was encouraging to see entries from young cheesemongers throughout the country, giving a positive picture of how this is such a great career for young foodies who love cheese. I’m looking forward to seeing how the eight finalists perform on the day. The nature of the four rounds means that it’s never certain who will win until right up to the end, making it an adrenaline-charged competition to take part in as well as watch.”