What will I learn?
“Queijaria Machado” was founded in the early 2020 to bring new experiences to customers by sharing Artisan Cheese’s knowledge and taste from all over the World.
Our Cheese Concept Store is located in heart of Lisbon with unique architectural environment – Affinage, Meet the Cheesemongers, Tasting and Learning Room.
The course will be taught by Cheesemonger Joao Machado on a cheese learning journey that will capture new experiences and knowledge.
Included in the price are a day’s teaching, tasting, lunch and refreshments in addition to access to the Academy of Cheese materials and online level one exam. We will give you everything you need to pass Level One and gain your level one accreditation. Delegates will also receive exclusive discounts on cheese related workshops run at “Queijaria Machado” throughout the year in addition to an exclusive discount on the cheeses covered in the course.
What you will study:
The cheesemaking process | The ingredients, their function and production steps. An introduction to the Academy’s Make/Post Make Model applied to 25 specific cheeses.
• Maturing, affinage and grading | Looking at ripeness and how temperature can be used to control the process. Understand affinage and the relevance of grading.
• Buying and distribution | Discover the supply chains from production to consumer. Learn how to select a cheeseboard range for various situations.
• Presentation | Choosing the best tools for the job. Looking at correct techniques for cutting, packing and caring for cheese.
• Communicating | Understand the key descriptors of 25 cheeses and the principles of pairing cheese and drinks.
• Cheese industry knowledge | Discover the history of cheesemaking and understand the differences between large scale and artisan production today.
• Regulation and good practice | How to handle cheese safely.
• Tasting | Tasting cheese using the Academy of Cheese’s tasting model. Expand your
vocabulary for expert communication.
• Identification | Taste, explore and identify 25 cheeses.
Cancellations:Please note once the course is booked it is non-refundable. All bookings are final, however, if you are unable to attend you can reassign your booking to a new available date or to another person. We require 14 days’ notice prior to original booking date. We reserve the right to cancel a course at short notice should events beyond our control make this unavoidable. Should this occur, delegates will be offered a place on our next available scheduled course or a full refund.